To continue with our extemely popular weekend funny pages; simultaneoulsy to assist once again the bespotted prof. Moore whose truthful website cannot seem to emerge from invisibility, and as well to demonstrate further the even-handedness of YBYL and its growing by the minute staff, we present:
The Moore Manifesto
- H.I.V. causes AIDS. This is not a controversial claim but an established fact, based on more than 20 years of solid science. It is as certain as the descent of humans from apes and the falling of dropped objects to the ground (1).
- To deny that HIV causes AIDS is farcical in the face of the scientific evidence (2). Although science is not an ivory tower that should never be questioned (3), the fundamentals of whether HIV causes AIDS are so certain that challenging them to create trouble really does harm people. (3)
- AIDS denialism kills. (3)
- Scientists who are also AIDS denialists are unworthy adversaries. One should only debate science with credible scientists, and no credible scientist could ever dispute the causative role of HIV infection in AIDS (4).
- Again: Any scientist who claims that HIV does not cause AIDS is simply not credible, essentially as a point of definition. The evidence is so overwhelming that a credible scientist could not fail to understand and accept it. Would astrophysicists and geologists debate with people who believed the moon was made of green cheese? (4)
- Space aliens will no doubt be a cause soon (3).
- The normal rules don't apply when dealing with AIDS denialists (5).
- The concept of an "honest debate" with AIDS denialists is an oxymoron. AIDS denialists are not intellectually honest enough to debate with (6).
- The science community does not "debate" with the AIDS denialists, it treats them with the utter contempt that they deserve and exposes them for the charlatans that they are (4).
- We will not engage in any public or private debate with AIDS denialists or respond to requests from journalists who overtly support AIDS denialist causes (7).
- The debate has been settled. It is not our role to enlighten denialists as to their inability to understand the available information (7).
- Some AIDS denialists work in bona fide universities. Some even teach students. If this happens in your neighborhood ask the university authorities why they allow this and then write about it (3).
- Science and health journalists should talk to the editorial desk and letters editors and vice versa to ensure that AIDS denialist letters are spotted on arrival and spiked, not published (3).
- A few of the AIDS denialists are scientists whose careers fizzled out; but others are zealots with extreme political views (both on the far-right and the far-left) who find AIDS denialism politically convenient; and some are deeply troubled individuals with disturbing behavior patterns who deserve pity and professional help (8).
John P. Moore, Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Mark Wainberg, MD
References [added 24 March 2007]:
1. "Deadly Quackery", op-ed in New York Times, 4 June 2006
2. Letter to South Africa's President Thabo Mbeki, "Expression of Concern by HIV Scientists"
3. "HIV Science and Responsible Journalism", XVI International AIDS Conference, 13 August 2006 ***
4. Email from John Moore to Darin Brown
5. Email from John Moore to David Steele
6. Email from John Moore to Dean Esmay
7. AIDSTruth.org website, "Answering AIDS Denialists and AIDS Lies"
8. Amazon review of "Oncogenes, Aneuploidy, and AIDS"
Note: Others wishing to sign the manifesto may do so via comment. Only real names with verifiable emails, please. No initials or cyber-names will be accepted.